Just another day in paradise...

"Erections, Ejaculation, Exhibitions, and General Tales of Ordinary Madness" -Charles Bukowski

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Cry me a river...

After a horribly rough start to my morning yesterday (thank you Rusty for your help), I had had it. I will pull out my soapbox on another day to bitch, but today I will instead share how great my evening turned out to be.

My only hope prior to yesterday morning, was to take a day trip up the Gorge to Hood River. Hood River (the Wind Surfing capitol of the World) is a small town on the Columbia River that I heard is similar to Laguna in many ways. After wasting the entire day in the depths of my despair, a day trip was not obviously not possible… but decided to leave the house anyway.



At 5:30 I grabbed Amos Lee, headed for my car, and let him sing my blues away as I got on the Historic Columbia River Highway. I drove through Corbett, carefully avoiding the kids riding horseback down the highway, and came to the first vista lookout point. It was an amazing reminder as to why I moved back to this amazing part of the world.



I moved towards Multnomah Falls, briefly stopping at two of the four falls on the way. I stopped a Multnomah Falls and decided that it was too late to hike to the top, as the sun would be setting shortly, and I had only worn flip flops, not the most appropriate hiking gear.



Instead I decided to continue on to Hood River. I made it in time to see a few scattered windsurfers and kitesurfers gliding along the water. It was truly awesome. I drove through the quaint town and decided to grab a bite and a beer at the local brew pub. Afterwards I headed home…







I am so very glad that I live here, at this moment, when “getting away from it all” takes less than an hour, and a new fun community is located only an hour away. God bless the Pacific Northwest.

10 Comments:

  • At 6/07/2006 08:31:00 PM, Blogger Bone said…

    Nice pics, OCG. That first one could be a postcard. And those falls look amazing!

    How high are they?

     
  • At 6/07/2006 08:43:00 PM, Blogger Michael said…

    Those pictures are amazing. I especially like the two of the falls. I envy you. I'll soon be moving from the hills of New England to the flattest part of the country.

    I just realized, now that you're not living in the OC, but in Portland, shouldn't your name be PG instead of OCG?

    Then again, PG might be a misnomer... :P

     
  • At 6/07/2006 09:31:00 PM, Blogger Sizzle said…

    this post makes me excited to move to the PNW AND to visit you my dearest.

    yay!

     
  • At 6/07/2006 09:52:00 PM, Blogger Nihilistic said…

    I've only been to Oregon once...visited some caverns and drove down the coast...

     
  • At 6/07/2006 10:02:00 PM, Blogger hannahhas said…

    Bone- I linked it to Wikipedia for you. Though I looked and it says 611 ft. It's the second longest falls in the US that run year-round. Yes, I am that big of a nerd.
    :)


    Nameless- Where are you moving? I am sure they will have something special that only they have too... ok, no, nothing will top this place.
    :-P

    I could be PG, but yes... the misnomer... I decided a bit ago it can stand for "Oh Cool Goddess" (after a CYHSY song).


    Sizz- I. Can. Not. Wait!!!


    Nih- Well you are going to have two very good reasons to see some more of the PNW very soon!!!

     
  • At 6/08/2006 06:36:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Very cool, OCG. The Columbia Gorge is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

    For the scientifically inclined, there are four distinct microclimates within a fifty mile stretch. The cool, moist Pacific breezes funnel through the Gorge, one of few ways through the Cascades. As the air moves east, it progressively dries, thereby changing the flora and fauna in a remarkably short distance.

    Oh, sorry, OCG. I'm just stoked to see your photos.

    Wombat

     
  • At 6/08/2006 08:04:00 AM, Blogger Michael said…

    OCG- I'll be in Indiana. Thankfully, I won't be too far from Chicago, which will be nice. However, when it comes to nature, the midwest isn't as interesting as where either of us are living.

     
  • At 6/08/2006 08:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Those falls are beautiful! That looks like a really nice and peaceful place to relax.... ;)

     
  • At 6/08/2006 08:19:00 PM, Blogger sage said…

    Nice photos. I've only been through that part of the country, never had time to linger and to hike, one day I'll finish the Pacific Crest Trail, then I'll have seen the Pacific Northwest.

     
  • At 6/09/2006 01:02:00 AM, Blogger hannahhas said…

    Sir Dub- It's one othe coolest places I have seen as well.

    Thank you for yor lesson... its always appreciated here.
    :)


    Nameless- I think you're right,but CHI town is a sic city (so I've heard) and still full of the mid-west hospitality. ou'll have a good time... c;t wait to hear about it.. and there are always holidays to go home, or explore more of the country...


    Kerry- It really is a great place to relax... unless you hike to the top, then it is a great place to get a workout.
    :)


    Sage- Lingering makes it even more amazing! I need to read up on the Pacific Crest Trail, I am unsure where it is located.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home